Thursday, May 22, 2014

Riding the Music

"Oh my, here we go."
Shinedown from
Sounds of Madness

Riding the Music:  Introduction

Okay folks, here we go.  This is the place to read what I've been working on for almost two years.  And here's how, following almost five years of dry spell, my muse returned to me through a cheesy movie.  He came at me with one idea, but others soon followed so that now I have two completed novels, two character studies whose stories have yet to be revealed, one 10K word "short" story and another story of indeterminate length in progress.

The inaugural PubSmart Conference (http://pubsmartcon.com/) in April took place here in Charleston.  I came away overloaded with information, ideas, and motivations.  Everyone stressed the importance of an author's online presence in blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and others including an author website.  I don't have a website yet, but here's another blog.

One of the keynote speakers was Hugh Howie, author of the popular Silo Saga (http://www.hughhowey.com/) and many other books.  He was incredibly inspiring.  He had stories in his head that needed to come out and so do I.  He began by posting short parts of his novels on his blog.  And then he'd post the next part.  And the next. . . .

People read and commented and clamored for more.  That's what I hope you'll do for me.  Just read and comment.  If you like something, let me hear about it.  If you don't like something, let me hear about that too, okay?  It'll be all right, I promise.

Here's the lowdown on The Guitarist, the first novel I'll try out on you.  The main character is Nicholas Trent who is a famous British guitar player and he's the one telling this tale, so it's written in British English.  Don't let the "humours" and "colours" etc. throw you.  There is romance of course, but also murder, deceit, and mystery. 

The blog will improve and fill out over time, as well.  It may change the way it looks and you can have input on that to a certain degree too.  I'm still figuring out how to work this thing.  It's changed since the last time I wrote in The Year of Guitar (http://writereflections.blogspot.com/) which was exactly a year ago on the 22nd.  Try to be patient.  Send me tips if you have any.  We'll get through this together.  I'll set this up to allow comments here, but you can also get me on--
 
Facebook: Mary Ogden Fersner 
Twitter: @maryfersner
email: maryogtrlvr@gmail.com

So, with gratitude to all of you, and especially to my muse, let's start this ride. \m/

--Mary O



 

No comments:

Post a Comment