Sunday, July 6, 2014

THE GUITARIST: Nicholas Finds Caitlin


It was late afternoon before Raymond drove me back to the hotel.  Food was the furthest thing from my mind, but there were still a few hours of daylight left and a good run would be just the thing.
I changed my clothes and stopped by the concierge’s desk to ask the whereabouts of Peninsula Traders.  She brought it up on an electronic tablet and showed me how to get there. 
I ran past shops—large, small, quaint and gauche.  Caitlin was right, history was everywhere in the old buildings, cobblestone streets, and carriage tours.  I came to a section of elegant old homes on the edge of a commercial area, and ahead in the next block, I saw the sign for Peninsula Traders.  A busy street ran between me and the supermarket. As I waited to cross, I saw Caitlin come outside dressed in khaki pants and a white button-down shirt.  She looked tired, but gorgeous.  She got in her car and I ducked into a doorway so she wouldn’t see me as she drove by.  Christ, I feel like a stalker.
I continued my run back toward the hotel, passing a large library, a large construction site and a huge building that claimed to house the county department of education.  They must have good schools here.  On another block, I came across several buildings associated with a college, there was a theatre with an old fashioned marquee and an interesting vintage bookstore with a blue bicycle parked outside.  Lots of restaurants, bars, and more shops of all kinds lined my way back to the hotel.
*          *          *
The next day, I wasn’t expected at the studio till afternoon.  I’d stayed up late writing music so I slept in a bit and had a leisurely breakfast in my suite.  I left the hotel for Peninsula Traders dressed in jeans, a tee shirt and my trainers.  It was a short few blocks to the market.
As I entered the grocery, the scent of freshly baked bread greeted me, along with a young man who said, “Welcome to Traders.”
“Thank you,” I answered.
“Would you like a shopping cart and a sale ad?”
He was so bright and fresh, I couldn’t help but smile.  “No, thank you,” I said, “but could you direct me to the floral department?”
He pointed me in the right direction and I sauntered toward it looking at the displays along the way.  Like the young man at the door, the supermarket itself was bright and fresh.  Every display was perfectly arranged.  The labels of the tinned goods all faced forward, boxed goods stacked just so.  Flawless produce in rainbows of colour led into the floral section, where I spotted Caitlin working alongside a young woman behind a counter.  A young man watered green plants on the sales floor.
I pretended to inspect apples as I planned my approach.  Would she be glad to see me, or would she still think it a bad idea?  I had no way of knowing, but when the sound of her laughter reached me, I knew I had to take the chance.
When I entered the floral area, the young man, whose name tag pronounced him “Joe,” came up to me.
“Good morning,” he said, just as brightly as his co-worker up front.  “May I help you find something today?”
“Thank you,” I said in a soft voice, “but I believe I’ve found it.  I wonder if you might quietly point Caitlin Flynn in my direction.”
Joe’s eyebrows shot up and his smile widened across his face.  “Cait?” he asked, almost in a whisper.
“Yes, thank you.”  I nodded.  “Quietly.”
“Sure.  You must be why she’s wearing makeup again,” he said with a grin.
I couldn’t help my own grin at his comment and wondered if it was true as he walked toward the counter where Caitlin and the other woman trimmed roses placing them into large, black vases.  When Joe got there, Cait looked up and saw me.  She covered her mouth with her hand in a gesture of surprise.  I couldn’t tell if she was happy to see me or not.
I drew in a shaky breath and stood my ground, though my instinct urged me to fly to her and fold her into my arms.  I was so nervous, I may have bitten my bottom lip.
I couldn’t hear what Joe said to her, but the woman beside her took Cait’s flower pruners and gave her a little push toward the sales floor.  I read her lips as she told Cait to “Go!”
Caitlin's breath was shallow by the time she reached me.  I wanted desperately to take her trembling hands in mine, but I kept them to myself.
“Nicholas,” she said, with a tentative smile that matched my own.  I relaxed a smidgeon when she put her hands on my arms so I kissed her on both cheeks.  “What are you doing here?” 
“I’m helping Billy Farmer with a project while we’re on our break.”
“Billy Farmer?”
“Yes.  He lives near here.”
“Oh, that’s right.”  She looked less sure than ever and I was afraid of what she would say next.
“Look, maybe I shouldn’t have come,” I said, “but Billy called for my help and I couldn’t stay a few blocks from here and not see you.”  I shook my head at my shoes and took a deep breath.
“How did you even find me here?” she asked, more curious than annoyed, I was pleased to note.
I looked around.  “Is there somewhere we can go to talk?” I asked, tension building in my chest.
“I can’t right now,” she said, glancing back toward the counter where her co-workers, who had clearly been watching us, quickly busied themselves.  That made her show me the smile I had longed for.  My heart picked up its pace.
“I get off at seven,” she said, taking my hands.  “Dinner?”
I shook my head.  “I don’t know how long I’ll be at Billy’s.  I’m not going there till one-thirty.”  I brightened.  “How about lunch?”

No comments:

Post a Comment